The is the advocacy site for me, Clive Bates.
I have worked in the private, public and not-for-profit sectors. I now run Counterfactual Consulting Limited, dedicated to consulting and advocacy under the broad heading of sustainability. I undertake work on energy, environment, public health, good governance and advocacy skills.
Much of my outward-facing work is on the public health strategy of tobacco harm reduction, which is the use of low-risk alternatives to cigarettes to displace smoking. I believe this approach could ultimately avoid hundreds of millions of untimely deaths and cases of severe disease – yet there is formidable and ideological opposition to it. This is now the main theme of this website, The Counterfactual.
I do not have conflicts of interest with respect to the tobacco, nicotine and pharmaceutical industries.
- Department for Energy and Climate Change (now Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy)
- Welsh Government
- UNEP Sudan
- Environment Agency
- Prime Minister’s Strategy Unit – Cabinet Office
- ASH – Action on Smoking and Health
- International Institute for Energy Conservation (Europe)
- Imperial College
- IBM (UK) Ltd
- Emmanuel College, Cambridge
My profile on LinkedIn has a more complete CV